One day, I was waiting for my friend and I decided to pay a visit to the bookstore and you know how that story goes forward, right? I went in, bought 2-3 books which I wasn’t going to read until next three years.
Nemesis was one of that wait-go-to-the-bookstore-impulse-buy but it was lucky enough to be read in the span of three months I had bought it.
Could it be it’s well thought of cover or it could be red pages?
Also- He killed me.
He killed me not.
He killed me.
I mean who is not intrigued?
What is Nemesis about?
He killed me.
He killed me not.
He killed me.
It’s been happening since Min was eight. Every two years, on her birthday, a strange man finds her and murders her in cold blood. But hours later, she wakes up in a clearing just outside her tiny Idaho hometown—alone, unhurt, and with all evidence of the horrifying crime erased.
Across the valley, Noah just wants to be like everyone else. But he’s not. Nightmares of murder and death plague him, though he does his best to hide the signs. But when the world around him begins to spiral toward panic and destruction, Noah discovers that people have been lying to him his whole life. Everything changes in an eye blink.
For the planet has a bigger problem. The Anvil, an enormous asteroid threatening all life on Earth, leaves little room for two troubled teens. Yet on her sixteenth birthday, as she cowers in her bedroom, hoping not to die for the fifth time, Min has had enough. She vows to discover what is happening in Fire Lake and uncovers a lifetime of lies: a vast conspiracy involving the sixty-four students of her sophomore class, one that may be even more sinister than the murders.
Let’s discuss Nemesis
To be honest, I read half the book so very excited and the other half in pain. I wanted it to be over so I could move on with my life. I wanted it to be over to know what the hell was happening, I just wanted to know. The book just didn’t give anything relatively important to the plot and I was then just skimming through the pages.
Yes, I know a lot of books take time to build the characters and the plot but I HAVE NO PATIENCE, my hyperventilating heart wanted action and killing and chase and romance on the side, not stress and slow-moving characters! Sigh.
But, it did have a lot of good things going on for it. Let me put that out for you. I am a nice person, I cannot just say all bad stuff about it because I am sure this book can be loved by a wider audience who are patient with their stories.
P.S. it is very important for everyone to know it isn’t a stand-alone, it won’t have a very compact structure but rather spread out.
What did I like about Nemesis?
- Two POVs, I love different POVs and different perspective on one thing, it just makes the story so freaking interesting to me.
- An original premise. To be honest, Young adult books these days– do we have anything fun going on except our characters trying to save the world? This did sound very very different and kudos to the author for writing something completely original.
- Even though the book isn’t a stand-alone nor is the structure of the book but all the questions that you might question throughout the book, you will be answered to all of them, which is so very satisfying– also just when the questions are answered you feel okay, at least all my hard work with this long book has been worth it.
- The potential of the storyline. It could have been so many things, it could have been one of the best books I read this year…
Why such a low rating?
By all means and love, I am not forcing my ideas or expectations on this book but rather thinking of how maybe if the storyline was a bit different, I could have enjoyed the book and also maybe keep up with the series.
Why am I in a low energy and look so disappointed? Because the book had so much potential to be something great and yet.
- The want for well-balanced structure. three-fourth of the book was just dragging itself and then all the action happen. It did make me interested in the next book but the experience I had while reading the current book just asked me not to.
- I didn’t really see a lot of character development? They were just the same with some new information in hand, with things to know.
- The ending, even though surprising and a big plot twist didn’t surprise me, I rather just sat there staring at the pages and thinking to myself, hmm oh okay???? Now?
- The dialogues were awkward?? I mean I was awkward while reading them? :/
- Min was hard to like and the only character with a brain! 😐 She used to slip into her thoughts, which were so boring, I just wanted to skip it and go forward with the plot. I really could not relate to her at all.
- I think the story started with a great premise but somewhere down the lane, they thought it to be a series and then just dragged the plot. What I mean to say is the story lost its sight and I completely lost interest. 🙁 The book felt completely different as to what it was.
And that is all. I don’t think I will be picking up the second book, but if you do and you like it. Let me know. 🙂
Rating: 2/5 stars
You can buy the book here: